[Openmcl-devel] The Objective-C Bridge and Clozure CL IDE with Linux and GNUstep

Tomas Hlavaty tom at logand.com
Thu Jun 18 00:08:42 PDT 2015

Hi Terry,

> As for hating C++

there is also gtk-server which doesn't need ffi at all and might be
enough for your needs.  It's quite nice to keep the GUI toolkit part in
a separate process and communicate via normal streams; you can even run
an app on a headless server with the non-web gui part on your laptop.
You get network transparent GUI for free.

> decided that I simply cannot give up either CL or non-web gui,

For some things html based GUI can be easy to program if you don't buy
into "cool frameworks".  And you could even use w3m or lynx to stay on
tty.

> I was repelled by the language then, and still think it is just an
> unholy mess. When I give myself a break from qt and C++ to do some
> lisp, it feels marvellous.

For this reason it can be also much simpler to write a HTML based GUI
because you don't need to deal with X Windows, MS Windows, GTK, QT,
Motif etc.  but simply read and write portable and pure Lisp and
derialize/deserialize to HTML and SVG.

Cheers,

Tomas