[Openmcl-devel] The Objective-C Bridge and Clozure CL IDE with Linux and GNUstep

Joshua Kordani jkordani at lsa2.com
Fri Jun 19 09:31:22 PDT 2015

On 6/19/15 12:14 PM, Adam Jensen wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:08:42 +0200
> Tomas Hlavaty <tom at logand.com> wrote:
>
>> there is also gtk-server which doesn't need ffi at all and might be
>> enough for your needs.  It's quite nice to keep the GUI toolkit part in
>> a separate process and communicate via normal streams; you can even run
>> an app on a headless server with the non-web gui part on your laptop.
>> You get network transparent GUI for free.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to [gtk-server](http://www.gtk-server.org/). The technique is interesting but after closer inspection the project seems to be waning.
>
> [Last Update: 2013-03-26](http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-server/)
>
> Have you, Tomas (or anyone), used it recently in a Common Lisp project? It would be super nice to see a comprehensive step-by-step example that starts with installing the gtk-server dependencies, compiling the source, configuring a GUI, then interfacing from CCL.

At least on windows, it seems to be enough to install the gtk2 binary release from gtk's website, then install gtk-server from the provided windows binary installer.

There is a gkt-server common lisp library on the web (not in quicklisp) that I haven't had enough time to stand up, its on my todo list.

Joshua Kordani
LSA Autonomy