[Openmcl-devel] Understanding the impact of consing

Max Rottenkolber max at mr.gy
Sat Aug 6 06:21:40 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I have written a blog post about the challenges I encountered during the
development of MaxPC,¹ a combinatory parsing library. In one section I talk
about how consing affects performance on CCL (or not), and I don't have answers
to some of my observations. I would be extremely grateful to someone with a
better understanding of CCL internals than me to fact/sanity check the section
“To Cons, or Not to Cons?” specifically:

  http://mr.gy/blog/maxpc.html#section-3-2

(I would include a text version, but without the diagram it makes little
sense.) Understanding what’s going on might require reading the source (links
to the relevant sections are in the benchmark diagram description), which is
probably too much to ask, but who knows, maybe someone finds this as
interesting as I do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who donates their attention.

Cheers,
max

[1]: https://github.com/eugeneia/maxpc