[Openmcl-devel] CLIM2 on CCL

Craig Lanning craig.t.lanning at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 08:30:30 PDT 2016

Just recently, I found out that Franz, Inc. had released their CLIM2
source code used in Allegro CL to GitHub
(https://github.com/franzinc/clim2).  I have forked it (https://github.
com/craigl64/clim2) and started trying to get it to compile in ccl.
Hence my question a couple of weeks ago about Platform Specific GUI.

I received an answer, but have not gotten far enough to make use of it.

I am excited about this version of CLIM because I have built clim based
interfaces before, but was only able to run them in LispWorks CLIM or
Symbolics CLIM.  I tried to use McCLIM, but found that it didn't work
the same way that Symbolics and LispWorks did.  Since Franz was one of
the original developers (along with Symbolics and Harliquin) of the
CLIM II Specification, I am hoping that this clim implementation is
very similar, if not identical, to that used by Symbolics and Harliquin
(now LispWorks).

I am targetting ccl because the ccl documentation talked about getting
to platform specific graphical tookkits like cocoa/carbon, gtk2/gnome,
win32/win64 and I am about to develop a CLIM based application that I
need to run on MacOSX, Linux, and Windows.  I also like that if I can
build the application in ccl, I can build both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions on all three platforms.

I have not pushed any of my changes back to the GitHub repo in my
account, yet.  I was trying to wait until I got it to compile.

I have run into a few issues.  One may be a side effect of how clim2
was originally set up to build.  I may need to reorganize the sequence
of how it gets built.

I will post additional messages to this list for the issues that I have
run into so that they can be discussed individually.  This message was
more of a kind of status report so that people would understand better
why I asked that question a couple of weeks ago.

Craig Lanning