[Openmcl-devel] CCL on GitHub

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Sun Feb 12 13:08:54 PST 2017

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 6:55 AM, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:
>
> On 12 Feb 2017, at 02:03, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at clozure.com> wrote:
>>
>> Over at https://github.com/Clozure/ccl there's now a README.md and some binary archives in https://github.com/Clozure/ccl/releases.
>
> I've made an attempt at this.  It might be worth mentioning in the README that the right incantation for curl to get a release is
>
>    curl -L -O <github-release-url>
>
> As there are redirects (it works to fetch it from a browser but I want it to work in scripts, and curl seems not to follow redirects by default).

It is a good idea to mention the a suitable curl incantation; I'll add that when I get the chance.

> I then followed the instructions, which work fine but (rebuild-ccl :full t) fails building the kernel with implausible-looking C errors (no <sys/signal.h>: can't be right).  I'm on
>
>    Darwin kingston.local 16.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.4.0: Thu Dec 22 22:53:21 PST 2016; root:xnu-3789.41.3~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
>
> with, I think, the current Xcode (at least the app store does not tell me I need a new one).
>
> This is master in git and 1.12.dev.0 release
>
> I can raise an issue on GH if that would be useful but it may be some configurational thing on my machine.

In short: for Darwin, it works to build a 64-bit lisp kernel with just Xcode installed; to build a 32-bit lisp kernel, the command-line tools are required.

I was able to update lisp-kernel/darwinx8664/Makefile so that it can build the lisp with only Xcode installed.

On the other hand, I have not figured out a way to do a similar thing with lisp-kernel/darwinx8632/Makefile.  It therefore requires that the command-line tools be installed.  You can use "xcode-select --install" to do this.  The seemingly weird "no <sys/signal.h>" error is a symptom of this.