[Openmcl-devel] CCL on GitHub

tfb at tfeb.org tfb at tfeb.org
Sun Feb 12 15:29:57 PST 2017

On 12 Feb 2017, at 21:08, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at clozure.com> wrote:

> In short: for Darwin, it works to build a 64-bit lisp kernel with just Xcode installed; to build a 32-bit lisp kernel, the command-line tools are required.
>
> I was able to update lisp-kernel/darwinx8664/Makefile so that it can build the lisp with only Xcode installed.
>
> On the other hand, I have not figured out a way to do a similar thing with lisp-kernel/darwinx8632/Makefile.  It therefore requires that the command-line tools be installed.  You can use "xcode-select --install" to do this.  The seemingly weird "no <sys/signal.h>" error is a symptom of this.

Ok, so that's the answer but I don't completely understand why.  The only way I ever use Xcode is via the command line: all I ever build is traditional command-line C applications.  At some distant time in the past the way you got any of that to work was by doing the magic xcode-select thing, but clearly now you get enough command-line stuff to build quite substantial programs without it, but something is still missing, because I would have noticed since I installed 10.12 otherwise.  But I don't have a record of having explicitly installed the command-line tools this time, so clearly I didn't.

Of course, the reason I didn't see this with the svn version was that my ccl wrapper (which I need to update now) runs & builds the 64-bit one by default, while typing './dx<tab> -n' completes to the 32-bit one.

Well, it works now: thank you!

Am I right that once you've done this bootstrap build then essentially a 'git update' followed by a rebuild will keep things working the way it did before, unless there is some major change which might need an image to bootstrap it?

--tim