[Openmcl-devel] ccl 1.11 release and GitHub

mikel evins mevins at me.com
Mon Feb 13 18:53:54 PST 2017

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 8:42 PM, Bill St. Clair <wws at clozure.com> wrote:
>
> I’m wondering if this is really a problem. We update CCL binaries only a few times a year, to handle hard-to-bootstrap changes. That’s 50 megabytes times the number of platforms on GitHub, but it’s only 50 megabytes on a machine that runs only one platform. Is that a problem? I don’t think so. Others?

That's why I suggested the back-of-the-envelope calculation. We don't have to guess; a few minutes' examination of the Subversion repository will tell us. If Matt wants, I can do it, but I figured he might want to check it himself.

If the same repo stores all the binaries then the total size is 50 MB times the number of platforms times the number of revisions of each binary. When you clone the repo, you'll get ALL of those, unless you take specific steps to prevent it (specifically, you need to do a shallow clone that limits the clone to the latest N revisions).

Bear in mind also that the binary repo will only grow without bound over time, unless you do icky and not-recommended history-modification to prevent it.