[Openmcl-devel] ccl 1.11 release and GitHub

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Tue Feb 14 00:09:08 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 08:24:15PM -0600, mikel evins wrote:

> The main problem with storing binaries in git repositories is that git's diff algorithm is designed for diffing text files. It doesn't get particularly good results in the general case on binary objects. The practical result is that, in effect, any time you change a binary object, no matter how small the change, git will store a whole new copy of the entire binary object.

??? Are aou shure this is correct? AFAIK git _always_ stores files and
not diffs. That's one of the biggest differences with older/traditional
version control systems. That's the reason checkouts/branch swithxing is
so blazingly fast.

> That means that repos containing binaries that change often will tend to grow in size very much faster than repos that contain only text.

I think this is wrong. Change one whitespace in a text file and a new
object is created (named by it's md5 sum. Commits pretty much only
ppoint to a collection of md5 sums).

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes