[Openmcl-devel] ccl 1.11 release and GitHub

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Wed Feb 15 00:22:08 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 08:35:40PM +0100, Alexey Veretennikov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is not correct. Git stores:
> - objects (in .git/objects) - these are zlib-compressed files.
> - pack files (in .git/objects/pack) - they contain both objects and
> compressed deltas (diffs).

Yes, see my other post.

> Git uses sophisticated heuristics to determine if the files should be
> stored as diffs. You can invoke this heuristics running git gc however.

Again, see my last post. But the mental model of "git stores objects"
gives you a nice upper bound (I hardly ever run 'git gc').
I really don't think that diffing (or not) is the problem here. The main
reason why git repositories tend to be larger than subversion
repositories is that a checkout will give you a local copy of the whole
project history, which I consider a big benefit ('git log'vs. 'svn log'
while being offline). But does this really create bloat? My (over)simple
back-of-the-envelope calculation for the curren svn:

 - 34 versions of the heap image
 - image size 26Mb -> zlib compressed 6Mb
 => (* 26 (* 33 6)) = 224

 That's not really that much of a bloat, isn't it?

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes