[Openmcl-devel] 1.12 release plans

Matthew Stickney mtstickney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 00:04:24 PST 2018

On 2/2/2018 12:36 AM, Hans Hübner wrote:
> It makes spend to have the resources that are available to improve CCL
> not waste their precious time maintaining compatibility with an
> architecture that is obsolete.

Isn't that an argument for separating the backends, though? To
paraphrase a message I mistakenly sent off-list, I've still got x86
machines that I use, and at work we've still got customers running x86
boxes, so they're definitely still around. Why throw away a working
backend if the target hardware is still being used? Splitting the x86
and x86_64 backends isn't free, but it ought to be a one-time cost that
minimizes the amount of time the maintainers have to spend dealing with x86.

-Matt Stickney