[Openmcl-devel] command-line invocation on Mac

Shannon Spires svs at bearlanding.com
Mon Apr 1 23:06:49 PDT 2019

Actually it can. Here’s the procedure I use to build a command-line CCL from the Mac App Store version. I’m on El Capitan and I just tried this with the App Store Version 1.11.1 which is what comes up with I search for “Clozure” on the App Store.

-Shannon Spires

Rebuilding CCL from the App Store version of CCL, or building a command-line version of CCL from the IDE. (The App Store version does not include a command-line version of CCL.)

Download the Clozure CL app from the Mac App Store. It will be placed in /Applications and will be owned by root:wheel (probably).

You need to have Xcode on your machine.

You must run Xcode once so you can agree to its terms and it can finish installing itself.

In a terminal window, do (this is in addition to starting Xcode manually as above).

$ xcode-select --install

$ cd /Applications

# Gotta do this because you don’t want the app owned by root:wheel
$ chown -R <username>:<group> Clozure\ CL.app/

Double-click the Clozure CL app.

In the CCL listener, do
(rebuild-ccl :kernel t)

[or go to the appropriate kernel directory within the Clozure CL app and do make.]

If that succeeds, try

(rebuild-ccl :full t)

If that succeeds, you will now have a command-line version of CCL within the Clozure CL app at

/Applications/Clozure CL.app/Contents/Resources/ccl/

You can now copy (don't move but copy) the above directory to a more convenient place if you like, cd to it,
and execute ./dx86cl64 and it should just work.

Updating CCL (as opposed to merely rebuilding it) is not likely to be workable from the App
Store version. You need to check out the code with git for that.