[Openmcl-devel] Some progress in porting to CCL to Termux - Tentative -DTERMUX_ANDROID patch for CCL 1.11.5 C source files

Sean Champ lab at thinkum.space
Mon Oct 14 09:50:01 PDT 2019

Hello,

If it may be of any use to publish any manner of a progress report for
contributing a build.sh for CCL support in termux-packages[1], candidly
I believe I've reached the point where I'd like to take a look at using
CastXML[2] potentially as something of an alternative to FFIGEN in CCL.

In a more literal way, it seems that I should like to have initialized
the structure slot being accessed by
(ccl::backend-target-foreign-type-data ccl::*androidarm-backend*). For
this, it may seem that is should need an application of CCL FFIGEN, such
that the CCL FFIGEN would be applied onto a set of header files provided
in the Android NDK. From there, it may not be any less complex to
configure the build accordingly, albeit.

If there may be any single set of header files in the NDK, specifically
for an Android NDK platform version 21, perhaps those might be the best
to focus on -- as in an interest of portability for individual Android
devices, on install, pursuant of certain changes in LLVM and the NDK. In
some NDK API versions later than 21, the toolchain may not be able to
produce binaries that could be used on some Android 6 devices, afaict.
Using version 21 it seems to work out -- at least, so far as one may
estimate after some local builds with termux-packages, for an Android
32-bit ARM device (Android 6) and that API version.

If anyone may be able to ascertain how to usefully reproduce such a
build configuration in any arbitrary build environment: The matter of a
"version 21" focus, in application of the Android NDK, perhaps it may
entail using a somewhat specific clang compiler and when applicable, a
corresponding clang++ -- typically versioned for API version 21 and
named for the target build architecture, generally -- under the NDK, and
a separate set of compiler tools (LLVM NM, AR, LDD, etc) with no API
version number, all generally under a pathname for the build host
architecture, such as toolchains/llvm/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/bin/ in the
Android NDK.

 From a manner of a toolchains perspective, I'm fairly certain that
Google's AOSP must have applied some specific build configurations --
certainly, with CMake -- for LLVM, such that there are a variety of
individual clang and clang++ binaries, and some fewer NM, AR, LLD...
binaries, all seemingly built for individual target architectures, and
all bundled under some common pathnames in the NDK. It may not be a
well-documented feature, albeit.

The preprocessor declaration -D__ANDROID_API__=21 might also be of some
use in the "NDK API version 21" focus, insofar as for concerning any
content of the NDK header files, in some ways beyond any applications of
the NDK's ndk-build fork of GNU Make, or NDK's CMake, or NDK's Gradle
add-ons.

Insofar as towards a question, What header files to use? for producing
the *.ffi and *.cdb files for CCL, on any architecture under an Android
NDK toolkit -- assuming any manner of a compatibility for the GCC parts
of FFIGEN and, respectively, the characteristics of the target and host
architectures, and the header files under the NDK -- candidly I'm not
entirely certain if that may entail any well documented set of features
of the NDK, either, or for GCC. Personally, I propose to address this
with a manner of iterative builds and local hacks, thus.

In consideration towards taking a look at CastXML, perhaps towards
developing an alternative to FFIGEN in CCL, CastXML itself uses LLVM.

Insofar as for applications with the Android NDK, perhaps CastXML may be
built for such applications, in some alignment with the LLVM bundle in
the NDK. Albeit, I'm not entirely certain of how the API-version focus
could be maintained, at that, without making a separate CastXML build
for every single possible clang. Perhaps there may be any more central
approach that could be developed, in any review of AOSP's LLVM-build
tooling, for using CastXML for arbitrary target architectures under the
NDK.

For toolchains outside of the NDK, perhaps it could be a lot simpler
there, for producing any FFIGEN-like hacks, subsequently.

In the interests of portability and manageability, personally, I'll try
to make a focus for developing a CastXML port for pkgsrc-wip under the
pkgsrc ports system[5] and using the single LLVM build configuration
(with some local updates, perhaps) under the pkgsrc main ports tree i.e
lang/llvm.

 From there, if any of this tool-glue works out, perhaps a compleat ccl
port for pkgsrc could be forthcoming, anyhow in parallel - once either
FFIGEN4 and/or CastXML can be used for rebuilding the interface
repository for CCL FFI.

Although I've developed something of a working binaries port for CCL
support for pkgsrc-wip, candidly, I'm wary of releasing it until I'm
certain it can be used to an effect of rebuilding itself. The "fetch and
install the binaries" part, itself, may seem to have been quite trivial,
focusing on CCL 11.

Candidly, I would not want to be too liberal in proposing any
development with regards to FFIGEN.

In albeit what may be a trivial idea, perhaps CastXML may be used as
something like a clang/LLVM front-end in a usage case, generally, of
preprocessing the NDK header files. The output of CastXML could be used
together with any XML processing system such as in libxml2 or otherwise,
for traversing the generally C++ oriented XML output from CastXML.

Perhaps this could be of some use, maybe together with SWIG, too. One
could endeavor to reuse the generalized interface model, if not the
exact syntax developed in SWIG -- pursuant towards producing something
that could be used like FFIGEN in CCL. Perhaps the result could be of
some use in other FFI systems, too.

Of course, in so many existing works, there's also the GNOME/GTK Object
Introspection system. I believe it's been used fairly extensively, in
Vala language tools.

I'm afraid there's nothing more practical to share, at this time, beside
a set of scarcely tested local patches.

Inasmuch, attached: A fairly trivial, in all ways tentative patch for
adding a TERMUX_ANDROID declaration for building CCL under Termux. The
patch is for CCL c source files. I'm not at all certain if it may be of
any use outside of the Termux builds. [Indemnification Clause Here]

This patch may not be particularly architecture-specific, but the
applications of the TERMUX_ANDRIOD decl. may not be practically visible
outside of Android builds.

Insofar as for making a special sub-set of "Android Builds," vis a vis
TERMUX_ANDROID, I believe it may at least be a useful contrivance --
such as in considering that any Termux Debian package builds would
typically be installed under Termux, for any sense of usability, once
the Termux apk is installed. Moreover, the Termux deb builds,
themselves, do not directly use the NDK's ndk-build or CMake, or the
Android SDK's Gradle. As such, the builds produced for Termux may be
by-in-large divergent to any builds produced directly with the NDK/SDK
tools, divergent in a manner of a model of systems configurations.

I've been able to use this patch in producing a working armcl binary
under Termux, using the NDK distribution in the Termux docker image. The
resulting armcl can run on an Android arm device. It can run so far as
that it seems to indicate that it needs a rebuilt armcl.image - thus,
the focus about FFIEGN, pursuant towards testing the patched armcl.

Of course, before addressing any hacks towards CastXML, I'll take a look
at building CCL FFIGEN under Termux and/or under pkgsrc - probably
starting with pkgsrc, at that, shortly.

-- Sean

[1] https://github.com/termux/termux-packages
[2] https://github.com/CastXML/CastXML