[Openmcl-devel] any experience with ccl+macos+egpu for ml?

Sean Champ lab at thinkum.space
Tue Oct 15 18:30:20 PDT 2019

On 2019-10-15 04:44, Arthur Cater wrote:
> I’m reading that macs don’t go well with nvidia external gpus. I
> wonder if anybody
> on this list has experience with getting ccl on a middle-aged mac to
> run neural
> network software using an external gpu.

I believe Nvidia hardware has something of a support for NVIDIA CUDA
programming. The newer hardware probably also has support for the
vendor-neutral OpenCL APIs and any OpenCL toolkits.

Although perhaps this may be a bit generic, in regards to platform
support -- furthermore, assuming that an OpenCL system should be able to
adapt to the PCIe (??) connection for accessing the GPU on the card in
the external GPU enclosure -- perhaps it could serve as something of
use, at least insofar as with regards to parallelization in computing
tasks? Of course, if OpenCL could work out, perhaps any more complex
linear mathematical programming support would be available on the GPU,
too?

Insofar as with regards to usage in a Common Lisp environment,
personally, though I'm not very well familiar with OpenCL in
applications, I wonder if perhaps it could represent something like a
microprogramming system in a generic sense?  Not to compare it to AVR
programming though, LoL, as I'm sure the dedicated GPU can do a lot more
in terms of maths.

HTH

-- Sean