[Openmcl-devel] any experience with ccl+macos+egpu for ml?

Arthur Cater arthur.cater at ucd.ie
Tue Oct 15 04:44:09 PDT 2019

Hello,
I’m thinking of getting into machine learning with neural networks, and I’d like to
do so using ccl and macbook (which unfortunately has only thunderbolt 2 not 3)
(and which gave me a lot of unrelated trouble when upgrading to mojave grrr).
I’ve found the quicklisp “mgl” package which can use gpus to train and run neural
nets.

I’m reading that macs don’t go well with nvidia external gpus. I wonder if anybody
on this list has experience with getting ccl on a middle-aged mac to run neural
network software using an external gpu. It could save me from making an expensive
mistake, since I haven’t yet chosen the egpu or enclosure (or even neural network
software).

Thanks for any help you can give,
Arthur