[Openmcl-devel] "Bad file descriptor during read" - nohup issue???

Mark Klein m_klein at mit.edu
Sun Feb 9 11:23:40 PST 2020

> Error: on #<BASIC-CHARACTER-INPUT-STREAM UTF-8 (CHARACTER-SPECIAL/0) #x302000431CAD> :
>        Bad file descriptor during read
> While executing: #<CCL::STANDARD-KERNEL-METHOD CCL::STREAM-IO-ERROR (STREAM T T)>, in process listener(1).

I got tons (761) of these in the server log, right when the system starts up, ever since I moved my Clozure Common Lisp/hunchentoot-based web server from my Mac laptop to an AWS linux instance.

The problem occurs only when I run my system using nohup:

nohup ./ccl/lx86cl64 -l ./system/Code/startup-aws.lisp  &> serverlog  &

but not if I run it from the command line:

./ccl/lx86cl64 -l ./system/Code/startup-aws.lisp

But I need to use nohup so my system keep runnings even after I close the terminal window I use to access the AWS instance.

Perhaps not unrelated: if I run the server under nohup, it hangs after a while (~1 hour), even if no one is using it at the time.

Any thoughts on what nohup might be doing to create these errors?

   Thanks!

Mark