[Openmcl-devel] Alice Hartley

Jeremy Jones jaj at clozure.com
Thu Feb 20 06:01:55 PST 2020

One of the reasons MCL continued to be so good was the quality of its
developers. After Apple acquired Coral it hired Alice Hartley and Bill St.
Clair to join Gary Byers on the MCL team. The three of them did fantastic
work adding CLOS and all the other ANSI CL features as well as porting it
to the PowerPC. All three continued to work on MCL when it was spun off to
Digitool in 1994. Unfortunately, it wasn't a commercial success, and
Digitool couldn't pay them, and MCL died.Thanks to Gary it was resurrected
as openmcl. He negotiated the open source rights in return for dropping his
claim to significant back salary.

Gary, Alice, and Bill are some of the finest hackers I've ever known, as
well as being fantastic, humble, kind, human beings. Gary, Bill, and I (as
well as Gail and Andrew and many others) continued to work together at
Clozure for many years. When I look back at the the 36 years since Coral
was founded, I'm most grateful for the amazing people that I've known and
worked with.