[Openmcl-devel] App Store CCL: how to run from command line?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sat Jan 4 12:33:53 PST 2020

Thanks.  Will do.  Is there some set of instructions for doing this?
The "Installing Clozure CL" instructions don't tell us how to install
successfully if we have Catalina.

In the meantime, I can't test ASDF on CCL on the Mac, so I would like to
get this fixed.

On 3 Jan 2020, at 13:17, Ron Garret wrote:

> You can’t run the binary in the application bundle from the command
> line.  (Well, you can, but that will just run the GUI app.  The fact
> that it doesn’t work on Catalina is a bug.)  You need to build a
> command line version, one that does not include the GUI framework,
> from source and then run that.
>
> On Jan 3, 2020, at 9:58 AM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>
> wrote:
>
>> I need to run CCL from the command line in order to test ASDF. But I
>> can't quite figure out how to do this. I linked the executable to a
>> place in my path:
>>
>> ln -s /Applications/Clozure\ CL.app/Contents/MacOS/dx86cl64 ~/bin/ccl
>> ...because I couldn't figure out how to get a pathname with "Clozure
>> CL.app" in it into my path. But then when I try to run it, I get this
>> error:
>>
>> $ ccl
>> Lisp Breakpoint
>> ? for help
>> [77375] Clozure CL kernel debugger: ?
>> (G)  Set specified GPR to new value
>> (R)  Show raw GPR/SPR register values
>> (L)  Show Lisp values of tagged registers
>> (F)  Show FPU registers
>> (S)  Find and describe symbol matching specified name
>> (B)  Show backtrace
>> (T)  Show info about current thread
>> (M)  Show memory areas
>> (X)  Exit from this debugger, asserting that any exception was
>> handled
>> (P)  Propagate the exception to another handler (debugger or OS)
>> (K)  Kill Clozure CL process
>> (V)  Show Subversion revision information
>> (?)  Show this help
>> [77375] Clozure CL kernel debugger: Killed: 9
>> This is on Catalina.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> P.S. If you have some way to test CCL unattended (Jenkins, travis,
>> etc.) on multiple operating systems, I would love to get the head
>> version of ASDF hooked into that -- I don't really have the resources
>> to do this myself any more. Right now I just test on my laptop and on
>> linux, and I cannot test any implementations on Windows.

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net