[Openmcl-devel] talk on CCL

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Sun Jan 5 01:14:51 PST 2020

Hi,

I was part of a comparison in 2001 to replace TI Explorer II machines with something else.   One platform examined was MacOS 9 running Digitool's MCL on PowerPCs.  For the application we would use I found the performance of a newish Mac with MCL to be slower but in the neighbourhood of the 15 or so year old Explorers.  But this was helped a lot because our application was both network and disk intensive, and, both of those parts had really benefited from 15 years of development.     Our application was designed to scale out so if we were short CPU we could just buy more Macs.  In 2001 we were having a problem solving the scale out problem with the "just buy more Explorers" model.

In the end we didn't go that direction for a bunch of reasons, none of which had anything to do with performance.

cheers

bruce