[Openmcl-devel] talk on CCL

Craig Lanning craig.t.lanning at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 13:57:08 PST 2020

As someone that has used a Lisp Machine for over two decades and owns
one (XL1201) even now, I would say that MBA's had more to do with the
death of the Lisp Machine (specifically Symbolics as a company) than
any specific Common Lisp implementation. Before you can talk about
replacing LispM's you need to know what the hardware was capable of
doing. A Mac is not even close. I developed a system on a Symbolics
3620 and then deployed that 3620 to the customer site. It was used by
more than just our direct customer. I would not have attempted to
deploy a Mac to do that job.

Symbolics had an interactive interface builder on their Lisp Machines
for building Dynamic Windows interfaces. The builder application was
called Frame Up.

Craig Lanning

P.S. I have actually find Clozure CL to be slower than even SBCL.
Clozure CL is slower because it spends most of its time in the GC.