[Openmcl-devel] “Prehistoric” MCL

Ralf Stoye stoye at stoye.com
Sat Mar 5 08:48:24 PST 2022

MCL had multithreading long before the OS had it:
It was a cooperative Multithreading build on stack-groups: the compiler
inserted checks and task-switches; there existed run-reasons and
arrest-reasons;
you could even adjust how gentle it should be in Multifinder regarding
other applications (something like *eventloop-ticks-in-background* ?
(Memory is Fading)
A remarkable piece of Software!
I started with 1.3 when it was delivered by Apple (1988?)
Last Version i bought was 4.2 (PPC i think)
I used fred (the editor) to implement a Software for a historian who had
to analyse about 100 Interviews, each about 50 Pages. She had a
hierarchical List of Topics regarding different aspects of the live of
these persons and could assign these topics to pieces of these
textdocuments and thanks to freds notion of buffer-marks, you could even
edit the documents without destroing your marked "text-blocks" ; Finally
an export of a really big Index showing reasons for Arrest, work,
living, of the victims was created in rtf Format and used to Document
the History of "Die Frauen von Hoheneck": A group of Woman arrested for
being not Conform to DDR politics. The created material was used to
write two Books: one for a historic correct analysation of the Topic (a
German "Enquete-Kommission"), and a novel about theese People ("Die Spur
der roten Sphinx"). I learned a lot about german and russian history
during that work, because the historian was a really smart Person, and i
learned a lot about using MCL to its limits.
It was really fun to develop in MCL, i never found a replacement :-/

--
STOYE - Networked Solutions
Ralf Stoye
stoye at stoye.com