[Openmcl-devel] M1 port: Call for funding

Tim McNerney mc at media.mit.edu
Sat Dec 30 15:56:00 PST 2023

Don’t beat yourself up Ron. Most lone wolf hackers aren’t great at documenting how to port as they are porting. (Humans only have so much short-term/working memory). But we can and should, since we will be working as a team. One of the existing problems is undocumented complexity in the compiler. I think we can figure out the GC. Yes, there will be a lot of time spent learning details with “boots of the ground.” I can and have written down a plan from the “5,000 level.” You are right that the work Alya and I did would not affect RME’s path forward, but for anyone else, it will prove to be a useful “scouting expedition,” and goes beyond the internals document. I’d especially like to hear how Matt would bootstrap the fasloader.

--Tim