[Openmcl-devel] M1 Port - Why PPC64 rather than the Arm32 port?

Tim McNerney mc at media.mit.edu
Sun Dec 31 06:35:59 PST 2023

The ARM32 and ARM64 are, for all practical purposes, completely different architectures.
The ARM64 is just plain closer to the PPC64 than any other CCL compiler target.
CCL has different compilation strategies for machines that have lots of registers and machines that don’t.
For this, and other reasons, the x86-64 is also not a good starting place for the ARM64 port.

--Tim