[Openmcl-devel] Tax deductibility of contributions to the M1 port

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sun Dec 31 10:35:26 PST 2023

A lot of people have offered to contribute to the M1 port recently, and it is starting to look more promising that we could start to make some progress soon, so I am starting to think about how to structure things to minimize the collective financial risk.  To figure this out I need to know: is there anyone here considering contributing to this effort for whom having the contribution be tax deductible is a significant concern?  It is plausible that we could structure this in such a way as to make that possible, but it would be quite a bit of work.  We'd either need to set up a 501c(3) or establish a collaboration with an existing one, who would almost certainly take a cut of the proceeds.  I'm wondering if this would be worth the effort.  This would require quite a bit of lead time to set up, which is why I'm asking now.

If a tax deduction would make you more likely to make a significant contribution, please let me know privately.

Also, if anyone here has a contact at an existing 501c(3) that might be willing to partner with us please let me know that too.

Thanks,
rg