[Openmcl-devel] The M1 port and the future of CCL

J Klein jetmonk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 13:33:45 PST 2023

I agree with Robert that ECL and ABCL are too sluggish to be practical replacements for CCL or SBCL.   I had to port a scheduling program from ABCL to SBCL for this reason.

I think that CCL is the ideal Lisp for small platforms like the Raspberry Pi (and maybe phones and tablets, if the ecosystem owners permit it), given its mix of speed and light weight.   I formerly used it on the RPi until the failure of threading on multiple cores drove me to 64 bit Raspian and SBCL, which is a tad too heavyweight.    ECL was just too slow to run and compile, and broke too many packages.

Given that arm64 is likely to be the dominant platform for small-device computing, it seems that porting CCL to it would be a huge benefit, whether or not the Macintosh IDE is supported.

I'd certainly be willing to contribute a modest amount of money, enough to pay for a day or two of work, to achieve a stable arm64 port.  Some documentation of the internals would be great too, as I learned from my efforts to tackle the thread bug in arm32.