[Openmcl-devel] The M1 port and the future of CCL

Scott L. Burson Scott at sympoiesis.com
Sat Nov 25 23:03:01 PST 2023

Ouch — I see what people mean about ABCL.  I obviously haven't done any
serious work with it yet, but I thought I was going to.  I don't need
absolute maximum computational performance, and I do expect to be running
some very large heaps, possibly a few hundred GB, which I know the JVM can
handle.  So ABCL seemed like a reasonable choice.  But I just tried a small
benchmark that I happened to have handy, and ABCL came out three orders of
magnitude slower than SBCL.  Yikes!  I don't even know where that kind of
overhead would come from.  I did compile the code, and no, I'm not running
an x86_64 JVM under Rosetta :-)  Well, come to think of it, the code is
heavy on two things that might be poorly implemented in ABCL: generic
function calls and multiple values.  Still, three orders of magnitude — a
simple interpreter that worked directly off list structure should do better
than that, no?

Anyway, I guess the upshot is that I'm more interested in seeing CCL
continue to be supported than I thought.

-- Scott