[Openmcl-devel] Garbage collector - ccl:terminate (memory stuff)

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon May 20 14:44:12 PDT 2024

> On May 20, 2024, at 2:31 PM, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:
>
> On 20 May 2024, at 21:36, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
>>
>> What kind of computer do you have that lets you install RAM without rebooting???
>
> Well, it depends on what you mean by 'rebooting'.  Obviously this is core memory

Ah.  Of course.  Silly me.

> We will shortly have to bring our third fission plant online to support the system.

Awesome!  (Although it occurs to me that there might be some tweaks to the business model worth considering.  Bitcoin something something...)

>> My own implementation has a paper factory at each end of an ever-growing spool of tape, but your idea sounds better.  It's getting harder and harder to find trees around here.
>>

> Yours sounds perhaps slower (how fast are your punches?  I understand that people have been doing work on paper-based systems which are comfortably supersonic) but less liable to meltdowns...

Yeah, we don't have to worry about meltdowns, but fire is becoming more of a concern here in California.  Those damned environmentalists ruin everything.

On the other hand, having everything go up in flames every couple of years does seem to make it easier to implement pragmatic solutions to the halting problem.  So there's that.

rg