[Openmcl-devel] Compiling bleeding-edge on Mac OS X 10.3

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Sep 30 14:22:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Peter Bengtson wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the bleeding-edge version on a Mac PowerBook
> running the latest version of OS X. Everything is newly installed and
> up-to-date, nothing special has been done. Single 1.5GHz G4. Standard
> developer's tools installed.
>
> I have followed the instructions meticulously, but when I get to
>
> 	cd lisp-kernel/darwin
> 	make clean
> 	make
>
> the make is interrupted at the following point:
>
> ld  -arch ppc -dynamic  -o ../../dppccl -e start -seg1addr 0x00003000
> -sectalign __TEXT __text 0x1000 -pagezero_size 0x3000 spjump.o
> spentry.o  subprims.o  imports.o pmcl-kernel.o gc.o bits.o
> lisp-exceptions.o thread_manager.o lisp-debug.o image.o asmutils.o
> lispdcmd.o plprint.o plsym.o plbt.o ppc_print.o   -lcrt1.o -lcc_dynamic
> -lSystem
> ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
>
> So it seems that libcrt1.o can't be found. Am I overlooking something
> obvious? I have RTFM, but to no avail. Pardon in advance if this is the
> wrong place to ask for guidance.

The file that it's looking for is /usr/lib/crt1.o; I'd be surprised if
that's gone ... (if it is, something probably needs to have replaced it.)
I confess that I'm an XCode release or so behind.

The -l<foo> option to the linker usually means "look first for something
called libfoo, then look for <foo> in the standard/specified library
directories."  It's possible that the version of the linker you're using
isn't following that convention (and it's possible that the OpenMCL
makefile has been depending on accidental/undocumented behavior in
the linker.)

The file in question - crt1.o - isn't a library in any case; it's just
a .o file that contains code that does things that need to be done before
main() is called.  In the Makefile, there's a definition of OSLIBS.  If
you change that to:

OSLIBS =  /usr/lib/crt1.o -lcc_dynamic -lSystem

does it get found ?