[Openmcl-devel] Scheme vs. Lisp [was A plug for nx1-combination-hook]

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Thu Sep 10 08:49:31 PDT 2009

Alexander Repenning wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Ron Garret wrote:
>
>> potentially win some converts who might be on the fence between CL and
>> Scheme
>
> not sure how much of that fence still exists. With Scheme intro
> courses even gone from MIT
MIT is just one school, though.
> there is not much momentum left. When playing with PLTscheme for a
> short while I found the performance and even to some degree the IDE
> quite unconvincing compared to CCL.
Really?  I haven't had a chance to play with DrScheme, but my sense
has been that it has some great IDE stuff that I have not seen
anywhere else.

The guys at Brown, Rice, and Northeastern have done great
things with Scheme.

There are a lot of problems with Scheme for doing real-world
programming, and the new directions in R6RS are problematic.
But I would not write it off.
> The OpenGL examples in PLTscheme are downright embarrassing.
>
> One can speculate why Scheme is is loosing ground. I am guessing it
> has more to do with actual functionality, e.g., continuations really
> are not a substitute for OOP, than with syntax.
I don't know that it's losing ground.  If you mean MIT's
freshman core curriculum, the reason for the change
is nothing like that; see my blog writeup at

http://danweinreb.org/blog/why-did-mit-switch-from-scheme-to-python

-- Dan