[Openmcl-devel] Scheme vs. Lisp [was A plug for nx1-combination-hook]

Brian Mastenbrook brian at mastenbrook.net
Thu Sep 10 09:16:53 PDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Daniel Weinreb wrote:

> Really?  I haven't had a chance to play with DrScheme, but my sense
> has been that it has some great IDE stuff that I have not seen
> anywhere else.
>
> The guys at Brown, Rice, and Northeastern have done great
> things with Scheme.
>
> There are a lot of problems with Scheme for doing real-world
> programming, and the new directions in R6RS are problematic.
> But I would not write it off.

This is mostly OT, but for those who are interested:

The R7RS process is gearing up, and there's been a huge amount of
discussion on the r6rs-discuss mailing list (http://lists.r6rs.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/r6rs-discuss
) about where things should go from here. The steering committee (http://scheme-reports.org/
) has ordained that there are going to be two working groups this time
'round, with WG1 producing a "core Scheme" document in the R5RS mold,
and the WG2 committee standardizing a "large Scheme" going further
than the R6RS.

My personal opinion is that the changes in the R6RS were a mixed bag
overall, but not disastrous, and that it is possible to extend the
work of the R6RS committee while cleaning up some of the more
controversial and "ugly" sections of the report, while still
maintaining compatibility with libraries written to the R6RS. In the
next few days I'll put together a "position statement" of my own on
how I think this can be done in a way that keeps the two Scheme
languages consistent and helps to further unify the community. I'm
very interested in engaging the process from the perspective of
someone who has written a substantial amount of Common Lisp code and
is familiar with what works - and does not work - in writing cross-
implementation programs of a practical nature. I'd encourage other
Scheme-minded CL users to do so as well.

The current use of CPS transformers in Common Lisp web application
frameworks *ought* to be seen as an indictment of the shape of things
in the Scheme community. If programmers searching for Scheme wind up
implementing it on Common Lisp, what does that say about the state of
Scheme implementations?

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net