[Openmcl-devel] openGL

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Dec 18 08:36:18 PST 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, nik gaffney wrote:

> > Alex Repenning's "OpenGL for MCL"
> > (<http://agentsheets.com/lisp/OpenGL.html>) might be a very good place to
> > start (it's designed for commercial MCL under OSX.)
>
> from this it looks like the file "mcl-interface.lisp" would be the only one
> needing to be modified once the low level gl interface is in place (courtesy
> of the OpenMCL's interface translator)
>
> the two macros foreign-function and foreign-define, would then need to be
> modified to fit with the openMCL ffi.  im not really sure what to tweak, but
> im looking into the details.. .
>
> > The parts that deal with Carbon (and with MCL's interface to it) might need
> > to be replaced (presumably with Cocoa equivalents and hopefully not too
> > much FFI tweaking); ideally, large amounts of the actual interface to
> > OpenGL could be shared.
>
> from Hamilton's previous mail, the cocoa interface involves using
> NSOpenGLView, spending some time with project and interface builders and the
> cocoa manuals (some opengl refs probably wouldnt hurt either!) .. ..

I looked a bit at libSDL as well (http://www.libsdl.org); SDL is a superset
of OpenGL.

It may be of interest because there's a SourceForge project at
http://cl-sdl.sourceforge.net to develop CL bindings to SDL and OpenGL.
The authors say that the latest release has been ported to OpenMCL,
compiles and loads fine, and crashes at runtime; they'd like help
in getting it working ...

It takes a similar (procedural) approach to the problem of defining
OpenGL FFI information, but uses Kevin Rosenberg's UFFI package
(http://uffi.b9.com) to make this portable.

Building cl-sdl seems to depend on having built SDL previously;
apparently, there's a C (or ObjC ?) layer involved, and building
cl-sdl depends on the availability of some configuration scripts
left over from the SDL build process.

If I can get cl-sdl built, I'd certainly be interested in trying
to make it run.