[Openmcl-devel] 0.13.x vs. 0.14.x

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sun Jan 4 13:51:55 PST 2004

On 04 Jan 2004, at 21:28, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> We have no dual processor hardware in our office to do testing, only
>> the production machines in colocation. Has anybody used OpenMCL
>> 0.14.x with its native multi threading on a dual processor mac ? Is
>> there a remote possibility that a native multi threading openmcl
>> executing a multi threading application monopolizes the machine ?
>
> If you send me some simple test code that you feel exercises the
> native multi threading appropriately, I would be happy to test it for
> you on a dual processor machine.

Have a look at http://homepage.mac.com/svc/DW-Bench
The idea is to use paserve to serve either a static or a dynamic page
and then exercise the server using the apache benchmarking tool ab. You
do not really need KPAX to set this test up. Pushing up the -n and -c
parameters might tell you something about scaleability or how well the
dual processor machine utilizes its resources.

>> Has anyone used OpenMCL 0.14.x in a production environment ?
>
> I have not used OpenMCL 0.14 in a production environment. I've
> actually been awaiting the release of your and Nicky Peter's kpax
> framework in order to begin down this road.

This is a though one: I always said that it was our intention to make
KPAX open source and publish it since it is based on a lot of great
open source projects. Many people have asked for it.

And although KPAX has been used in two production projects and one
student thesis over the course of more than one year, the code isn't
that clean. Up until last month it even had quite a lot of file system
layout dependencies.

Doing open source is a lot more difficult than just putting the source
code online. And I know that (1) I don't think KPAX is good enough and
(2) I don't want to keep supporting KPAX. As a matter of fact, I am
planning a newer version of KPAX for the very near future.

What I want to try is to make an as-is snapshot release for those
interested with lots of disclaimers, when I find some more time.

Sven