[Openmcl-devel] First draft!

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jul 5 21:40:04 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Gary Byers wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Dan Knapp wrote:
>

> >    I'm going to hold on putting these changes up anywhere until we've
> > got the
> > new site in CVS - that will be easier for me, and I think that if I
> > posted a URL
> > for yet another draft copy right now, it would just confuse people and
> > result in the
> > http://newsite.openmcl.clozure.com/ one not getting adequate
> > glancing-over.
> > Should only be a couple days, anyhow.
>
> I think that the process of replacing the stuff in CVS is simpler than I
> thought it would be:
>
> 1) disable the cron job that builds the main site from CVS.
> 2) check the new xml/Makefile/xsl/stylesheet files into CVS
> 3) add a cron job which builds "newsite" from CVS
> 4) modify (3) to build the main site, disable the server-side processing
>    on the server, retire "newsite.openmcl.clozure.com" (or make it point
>    to the main site for a while.)
>
> I'll try to do the first 3 steps ASAP.

Those first 3 steps are done now; the new xml and stylesheests are in
CVS, a cron job does a "cvs update" in the directory that serves
"newsite.openmcl.clozure.com" every hour on the hour, and does a make
in that directory 5 minutes later.

The Makefile currently tries to rebuild everything (whether it's out of
date or not), and that takes a few minutes; by about 10 minutes past the
hour, the .html files on the server (and the .tbz archive) should reflect
the .xml source that's in CVS.

I tweaked the Makefile (and one of the catalog files) so that things would
build on clozure (which is running FreeBSD); hopefully, it'll still work
with Darwin and Fink-based XML tools.