[Openmcl-devel] Cockpit Error using SAVE-APPLICATION?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Nov 6 15:51:24 PST 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, j-anthony at comcast.net wrote:

> I've only been using CCL for three months or so and am not completely clued
> in on this sort of process for it.  So, just to get squared up on this,
> when Gary said that this was "fixed in svn for both 1.2 and the trunk", he
> meant that the fix was compatible with 1.2 and the trunk and that you would
> need to perform the update procedure you note in order to get it into a 1.2
> version?  Is that basically correct?  Would you also have to perform the
> update if you grabbed from the trunk as well?
>
> /Jon

Yes; the same (logical) change was made to both the 1.2 hierarchy and
the trunk:

The trunk change <http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/changeset/11301>
is very slightly different from the 1.2 change
<http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/changeset/11302> (the difference
has to do with the fact that streams get initialized earlier in the
trunk.)

In both the trunk and 1.2, this change was pretty small and localized,
and it's easy to build a lisp image that incorporates that change.  We
generally don't distribute binaries with that sort of change (and try
to avoid making that kind of change in the 1.2 tree.)

It's more common for changes in the trunk to introduce bootstrapping
difficulties (at least in the sense that REBUILD-CCL isn't smart
enough to rebuild everything in the right order), and (with occasional
lapses) updated binaries (that have been bootstrapped in some ad hoc
way) will usually appear shortly after those changes.

Since we're a little timid about introducing bootstrapping issues
into 1.2, we've probably fixed some things in the trunk without
propagating the fix to 1.2.  (We've certainly -introduced- more bugs
in the trunk as well, and that's part of the tradeoff.)