[Openmcl-devel] y-or-n-dialog contribution

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 5 09:49:47 PDT 2008

I do not want to sound unappreciative, or start some flamewar, but
given that Clozure CL is in its early stage I think it is important to
seed the GUI example pool with samples that are Apple Human Interface
Guidelines compliant (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/
   look for Alert)

We had similar kinds of discussions with MCL for quite some time. It
took a long time to finally replace the hand made dialogs (which broke
over time) with HIG compliant ones based on high level tool box code.
Apple makes this pretty easy actually. I think I even saw some CCL
sample code somewhere to just use NSAlert (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSAlert_Class/Reference/Reference.html
).

I am all for including a couple of essential dialogs into CCL similar
to MCL. y-or-n-dialog, choose-file/folder *... come to mind. These
should not even be examples. They should be built in.

all the best,  Alex

On Sep 5, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Arthur W Cater wrote:

> Sorry that I didn't think to attach the file instead of pasting into
> message body.
> I certainly didn't mean to cause anybody any extra editing work!
> I'm attaching my original file to this message.
>
> Sign me up for SVN write access please; then I'll have to learn how
> to use it.
> As a newbie, very conscious of the enormous amount of both ccl and
> cocoa
> that I don't know, I'm rather scared of contributing buggy code, so
> I hope that
> folk intending to use it will look over it and criticise it. For
> example in the present
> case, I don't know if I should be using some autorelease-pool stuff
> (I'm not) because
> my study hasn't gone there yet. So many FMs to R!
>
> Arthur

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department