[Openmcl-devel] IDE compilation failure on darwinppc64

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Sep 11 00:12:44 PDT 2008

It's a known issue (but apparently not a well-advertised one); the
ObjC bridge doesn't work on ppc64.

The two things that I remember that need doing involve:

1) support for calling ObjC methods that take a variable number of
arguments (as in

(#/stringWithFormat: ns:ns-string #@"hello, %a" #@"world.")

).

(The old way of doing this - prior to the WWDC 2007 Leopard
betas - involved the foreign type :<MARG> ...)

2) Adding support for ObjC 2.0 exception handling, similar to
what was done for x8664.  (This basically involves adding a
bunch of debugging metainfo to the code in the lisp kernel
that does foreign-funtion calls, so that the point of the
call would be effectively declared as an exception handler.
The stuff in lisp-kernel/x86-spentry64.s that's inside

 	.section __DATA,__gcc_except_tab

and the stuff at the bottom of the file basically comprise
that metainfo.)

Neither of those things is a -huge- amount of work (doing (2)
on x8664 took a while, but the ppc64 metainfo would be very
similar.)  The same Leopard prerelease that introduced these
changes (WWDC 2007) broke signal handling on ppc64 (so that
even a simple C program that did very tame, basic signal
handling would crash trying to return from the handler), and
running ppc64 CCL on those betas was hopeless until that
bug was eventually fixed (not too long before Leopard was
released.)

There's been plenty of time since then to get the bridge
working on ppc64, but it hasn't gotten done.