[Openmcl-devel] CCL is a mess

Glen Foy lisp at clairvaux.org
Wed May 27 11:35:15 PDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Rainer Joswig wrote:

> The next question is 'user expectation'. What kind of IDE are users
> expecting?
>
> * Eclipse-like, because the users are students and know mostly
> Eclipse? An MCL-like IDE will not do it for them. They want windows
> full of widgets, wizards, tiled windows, large preference dialogues,
> lots of XML configuration files, ...
>
> * MCL-like, because the users are homeless ex-MCL users?
>
> * XCode-like, because the CCL IDE users are on the Mac anyway?
>
> * Somehow integrating with Xcode and some of its tools (Interface
> Builder, ...)?
>
> * Emacs/SLIME-like?
>
> * Something new?
>
> * None? Because they use Emacs/SLIME or Eclipse with Lisp support?

Clozure has just announced a Rosette port of MCL on Intel! We have
another possible model for a CCL IDE:

Terje Norderhaug has done some interesting preliminary work using MCL
as a generic Lisp IDE.  MCL handles events and displays tools while a
separate Lisp process runs the code.  It uses the Slime/Swank protocol.

Now I would prefer a version of CCL doing the same thing, but if
Terje's code is in good shape, we can do a proof of concept right now.