[Openmcl-devel] How about Git?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Nov 30 08:20:02 PST 2015

On 11/30/2015 08:29 AM, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> If you want to keep the master copy in SNV and mirror to git, SubGit
> can do that but mapping externals to submodules is not supported:
> http://www.subgit.com/remote-book.html chapter 9.
> If you want to keep the master copy in git and access it through SVN,
> Github supports that:
> https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/.
> Again, mapping submodules to externals is not supported.
> That said, as far as I understand it, there are two reasons why
> binaries are bundles with the sources:
> 1) for easy distribution of released binaries together with the code
> so that those who only use releases can also M-. (or equivalent)
> without hassles.
> 2) for easy bootstrap because of compiler and/or ABI(such as fasl
> format) changes within a release.

Several years ago this was essentially how CCL was distributed - one
checked out sources from CVS and a
a matching tarball via FTP or equivalent, and that was it.  At the time,
there were two possible choice of
tarballs., one for 32-bit PPC Linux and another for 32-bit PPC Darwin.

Some of the smartest people that I've ever known were very confused by
this, and I think that having
a single way for users to obtain a consistent set of sources and
binaries is very important.  SVN offers
this via "external properties", which are otherwise a mess.  If Git does
as well, I have not seen anyone
describe the mechanism.

I don't otherwise care whether one uses "svn co something" or "git clone
something", but I would
not want to expect users to have to revert back to what didn't work well
long ago.