[Openmcl-devel] How about Git?

Dmitry Igrishin dfigrish at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 08:47:28 PST 2015

> On 11/30/2015 08:29 AM, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
>
> If you want to keep the master copy in SNV and mirror to git, SubGit can
> do that but mapping externals to submodules is not supported:
> http://www.subgit.com/remote-book.html chapter 9.
> If you want to keep the master copy in git and access it through SVN,
> Github supports that:
> https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/. Again,
> mapping submodules to externals is not supported.
>
> That said, as far as I understand it, there are two reasons why binaries
> are bundles with the sources:
> 1) for easy distribution of released binaries together with the code so
> that those who only use releases can also M-. (or equivalent) without
> hassles.
> 2) for easy bootstrap because of compiler and/or ABI(such as fasl format)
> changes within a release.
>

> Several years ago this was essentially how CCL was distributed - one
> checked out sources from CVS and a
> a matching tarball via FTP or equivalent, and that was it.  At the time,
> there were two possible choice of
> tarballs., one for 32-bit PPC Linux and another for 32-bit PPC Darwin.
>

> Some of the smartest people that I've ever known were very confused by
> this, and I think that having
> a single way for users to obtain a consistent set of sources and binaries
> is very important.  SVN offers
> this via "external properties", which are otherwise a mess.  If Git does
> as well, I have not seen anyone
> describe the mechanism.
>

> I don't otherwise care whether one uses "svn co something" or "git clone
> something", but I would
> not want to expect users to have to revert back to what didn't work well
> long ago.

I don't know about CCL, but the GCC source distribution comes with a simple
download_prerequisites shell script which downloads via wget MPFR, GMP, MPC
libraries
before building GCC. This works fine for many years. So, why not use this
approach with CCL?
There are "hooks" system in the Git, which are event-based. It's possible to
run the script for download actual binary files after git clone or git
merge or git pull
operations (post-checkout and post-merge hooks).