[Openmcl-devel] The original CCL

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Wed Jun 22 00:37:12 PDT 2016

On Jun 21, 2016, at 11:52 PM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> Cool!
>
> What are you planning to do with it?  It would be awesome if you could get it scanned.

I was planning to. I actually have a second binder that also appears to have CCL docs, though I think they're the same version.

> BTW, I have some original CCL floppies which I was going to try to image one of these days.  I mention this in order to ask if anyone has already done this so I can save myself the bother, or, alternatively, if anyone is itching to have a copy of the original CCL so I can bump it up on my priority list.  Imaging Mac floppies is non-trivial.  They don’t work in standard floppy drives. Macs used non-standard variable speed drives, so to image these disks I’m going to have to resurrect an old Quadra that’s currently gathering dust in my basement.

I have a working Mac IIci (Bay Area), and I imagine there are plenty of others who have working older systems as well near wherever you are. Regardless, the original CCL is one of those things that should be imaged and archived for historical reasons if nothing else.

It looks like there are some images of various versions floating around, down to 1.2.2, but no 1.0 that I could find in a cursory search.

That kind of preservation is actually one reason I was trying to figure out what happened to Digitool, so perhaps all of the IP could be formally freed (modulo any other licensed work, of course). It wasn't clear to me if that had happened with the original Open Source release, or if only the specific release(s) that were made Open Source were free.

I'm also hoping someone managed to preserve (such as via git-svn) the full Subversion repository that was on Google Code, since the Google Code Archive only has the Mercurial repository for download. I'm told the Subversion repository had quite a bit of history in it which would be best for preservation.

  -- Chris