[Openmcl-devel] CCL on GitHub

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Sat Feb 11 18:03:10 PST 2017

Over at https://github.com/Clozure/ccl there's now a README.md and some binary archives in https://github.com/Clozure/ccl/releases.

On GitHub, releases correspond to a tag, and this tag name is used as the directory that the release source archives expand into.  In other words, https://github.com/Clozure/ccl/archive/v1.12-dev.0.tar.gz downloads as the file ccl-1.12-dev.0.tar.gz, and that file unpacks into a directory named "ccl-1.12-dev.0"

Thus, I made the corresponding binary archive unpack into "ccl-1.12-dev.0".  This may have been the wrong choice, though.

I assume people will do "git clone https://github.com/Clozure/ccl.git", which will create a "ccl" directory.  Maybe it would be better if the binaries unpacked in to "ccl/" directly.

Then, the complicated "tar --strip-components 1 -xf ../ccl-1.12-dev.0-linuxx86-binaries.tar.bz2" (as mentioned in README.md) wouldn't be needed.

Note that I have only added binaries for the development ("trunk") version of CCL, and only for Darwin/x86 and Linux/x86.  I will need to add the other platforms, and also make binaries for the 1.11 release branch, but I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction here.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on this.