[Openmcl-devel] CCL on GitHub

R. Matthew Emerson rme at acm.org
Sun Feb 12 20:25:10 PST 2017

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net> wrote:
>
> On Feb 12, 2017, at 1:08 PM, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at clozure.com <mailto:rme at clozure.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, I have not figured out a way to do a similar thing with lisp-kernel/darwinx8632/Makefile.  It therefore requires that the command-line tools be installed.  You can use "xcode-select --install" to do this.  The seemingly weird "no <sys/signal.h>" error is a symptom of this.
>
> The problem here appears to be that lisp-kernel/darwinx8632/Makefile is specifying “-isysroot /” which means “look for everything in /.” You shouldn’t specify an -isysroot at all when building for the host system, it shouldn’t be needed.
>
> In fact, even when building for iOS (or another operating system) these days you shouldn’t need to specify an -isysroot with the Xcode tools. Instead you should be able to just invoke the compiler using “xcrun -sdk iphoneos clang” instead of just “clang” to invoke the compiler, and the compiler will be passed the correct -isysroot automatically.
>
> The full set of changes I needed to successfully build on the latest macOS with the latest Xcode were:
>
> - Remove the entire SDKROOT=/ line
> - Remove the use of -isysroot $(SDKROOT) from commands
> - Change OSEARLYLIBS from -lcrt1.o to -lcrt0.o

pel:darwinx8632 rme$ make
ld  -macosx_version_min 10.6 -arch i386 -dynamic  -o ../../dx86cl -e start -pagezero_size 0x11000 -seg1addr 0x00011000 -sectalign __TEXT __text 0x1000 x86-spjump32.o x86-spentry32.o x86-subprims32.o imports.o pmcl-kernel.o gc-common.o bits.o thread_manager.o lisp-debug.o image.o memory.o x86-gc.o x86-utils.o x86-exceptions.o unix-calls.o mach-o-image.o x86-asmutils32.o mach_exc_server.o lispdcmd.o plprint.o plsym.o x86_print.o xlbt.o   -lcrt0.o  -lSystem
ld: library not found for -lcrt0.o
make: *** [../../dx86cl] Error 1

Did I do something wrong?  This is on a system with no command-line tools installed.  I would really like to avoid making users install the command-line tools when Xcode is already installed.  If I can, I want to keep CCL running on 10.6, but at some point that’s not going to be feasible.