[Openmcl-devel] talk on CCL

Bo Yao icerove at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 08:08:27 PDT 2018

 It's quite an entertaining and also illuminating talk! I don't have chance
to see a lisp machine, but MCL is just great. Also happy to have a
knowledge in Clozure CL's GC and future plans. I'm quite busy in recent job
in a startup and looking for a new role that hopefully have more time to
contribute to lisp and open source. I learned a few new skills this year,
for every thing I learn I always think about how lisp can benefit from this
ideas or similar feature can be implemented in lisp. I think a not
difficult, but definitely quite helpful thing to common lisp community will
be an excellent (command line) build tool. I expect it expose asdf and
quicklisp's feautures, with a few more like local package versioning,
create project from template (quickproject, but provide more useful project
templates), etc. It should have at least the feautres as leiningen in cli,
and having lisp script driven build like boot-clj (maybe just a few more
asdf extensions?) And as easy as a lisp programmer can only remember a few
command to start a new project, install/update dependency, run, test,
package a project. The best of this is rust's cargo, people can use it
fluently in a few minutes, quite pleasant to start a rust project and,
then, painful to write rust code :) We have a few quicklisp projects doing
some of task (roswell, qlot), but they're not well integrated, as easy as a
few commands, and flexible enough to customize any task with lisp code.
With a tool like this, not only programmers of other lanaguages can start
with write some lisp code without much pain, but also it'll ease our
workflow, make existing library more reliable (by more easilly to add test
and local dependency with version), well integrated with currently
mainstream cli based deployments (docker, kubernetes, gcloud/aws, ci/cd
tools). And this will make common lisp a "modern" choice to write
microservices and so more people will write more lisp libraries. I think
compare to it's difficulty and the benefit it's worth doing.

--
Sincerely,
Bo